Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I heart the MN Rescue community

Yesterday was a true example of the awesomeness (yes that is a word) of the MN rescue community and why I love it so much.

I got an email from one of my friends who works on the hotline for one of the rescues. She takes info and helps to coordinate surrenders all over MN, ND, SD, IA, WI. There was a dog in ND that would be shot on the end of its chain in northern ND if we couldn't pull it in 24 hours. (Sick bastards.) We had no volunteers for this rescue up there and she was sure he would be shot. 

I sent an email to a contact of mine in a different rescue and she passed it on to 4 different contacts who passed it on to a couple more and within 45 minutes I had heard from someone who operates a rescue up in that area who was willing to go evaluate and rescue this dog and make room in their own overcrowded shelter until we could find a transport up there. (Whoa run-on sentence...) By 8p yesterday collectively across 3 different states we had saved another life. Awesome. 

Now he is hanging out eating his first full meal in weeks and no longer having to worry about getting his a** kicked by stupid humans. 

I love this job. 


1 comment:

texaslauren77 said...

I just don't understand how someone could do that to a poor dog. I rescued my dog, Sally, from a no-kill shelter in Austin last year. And, while she was only a few months old when I got her, it was evident that someone had done something terrible to her before she found me. She's still very skittish around people that she doesn't know, and is terrified to let me out of her sight (except when she's chasing rabbits). I volunteered all last summer every weekend to help with adoptions for the shelter that brought me Sally. Despite the sometimes 100+ degree heat outside, it was so worth it to me to help all those dogs find good, loving homes.