Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Hump Humpity Hump Hump

I realize I haven't said much about Jack lately. He's still here. More on his rejection streak later. That is a sad story for yet another post. This post is about something different entirely. This post is about an embarrassing need of Jack's. Embarrassing for both of us (at least he'd better be embarrassed). Jack is this overcoming need to.....well.......hump. Indiscriminately of course. Boy dog, girl dog, doesn't matter. Spayed, neutered, doesn't matter either. He is neutered of course so it's not like this is about procreating. A lot of trainers say this is a way to establish dominance within a pack. Which may be true, I'm no expert. In this case I doubt it. He is the most unassuming submissive dog I know. I must admit though that this habit of his is becoming a tad overwhelming. 

Case in point:

We went to the dog park yesterday for awhile. He did great at first. Then it went sliding rapidly downhill. I love my neighborhood, I really do. It's a young, hip, urbanish area right outside the city. Lots of people with dogs, which equals lots of judging stares at the always busy dog park. So when Jack started humping all 20 dogs there, it was awkward to say the least. After 30 minutes of running all over the stupid place pulling him off of dogs of all sizes and having my neck reamed for having an "out of control dog" I waved the white flag and headed off for home with my proverbial tail tucked between my legs. Now I'm afraid to even set foot in that park for fear of being burned at the stake. 
Hopefully Big Jack will get over this Casanova complex and can sniff butts like every other dog out there. Until then, we're gonna stick with walks...

1 comment:

Ms. Florida Transplant said...

I would love to be able to do rescue work someday. I'm just not sure I could let any of them leave! =)