Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Cody + Kids = War

This weekend on Mother's Day (couldn't have been more fitting) my Codyman had a breakthrough. A breakthrough that got his momma so excited she cried a little. I'm not ashamed to admit it either. Before I let you in on what exactly got me this excited, let me fill you in on the background of the Cody vs. Kids war. 

When we first got Cody 3 years ago, we were hoping to have a typical happy go lucky, easy-going lab mix. You know the kind, good with kids, loves to swim, likes to lounge and loves to play ball. Well we got the last one, but that's about it. The first time my nephews came over, Cody got so agitated he ran around my apartment in circles. Whoops. That progressed to nipping at their ankles when they ran around, which when you're 2 and 4 is all the time. He won't herd anything else, but when it comes to kids oh boy. From there we started barking obsessively at all short humans. If a kid makes a sudden movement, Cody tries to catch them and hold them with teeth. Needless to say this does not go over well with the average parent. He never tried to hurt them, it's just instinct. 

This brings me to the milestone. On Sunday my nephews and Codyman played tennis ball nice and sedately for over 2 hours with no one getting nipped!!! This has NEVER happened before. I totally cried. It's one more step in my baby's growth. Now we just need to work on the obsessive barking......all in due time I suppose. 

No comments: