Sunday, May 11, 2008

Ode to Doggy Mamas Everywhere

Here's to you Doggy Mamas! We are the unsung heros in this culture of families with 2.5 children on suburban streets with picket fences. We are the ones who are not afraid of conversations revolving around smushy poops and how to fix them. We are the ones who drop everything to run to the store and buy the best bones our money can buy because our babies "just don't seem happy." It is us who stand outside in the pouring rain at 5:30 in the morning urging our "kids" to go potty. We are the brave souls who venture to the dog park in 20 degrees below zero just so our "kids" can socialize and play ball to their hearts content. Dare I say it, but we are the ones who hand cook our dog's dinner just so they can have the best nutrition.

Some may say that we are obsessed or think we're weird because we don't have "normal" kids. To them I say, "Oh yeah? Have you ever tried to get a urine sample from a dog in your front yard? Didn't think so." They've got nothing on us. We are the few, the proud, the Doggy Mamas.

To all my fellow Doggy Mamas: HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! You deserve it.



Thanks to my Codyman for letting me be his all-time Doggy Mama.

1 comment:

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

A kindred spirit! I'm a dog mom too and I take it seriously. I rescued my guy from an abuse situation and had to teach him how to be a dog (while learning about it myself) because he never learned how in his previous situation. Now I have a well-adjusted guy that is the love of my life. I feel so much closer to this dog because of the amazing journey we took to get him to where he is today. We pay it forward by attending lots of animal rescue events and helping out were and when we can.